Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Mad Men in a Death Machine

I'm terrified of driving. Not because I think I'm a bad driver, but because the rest of you are freaking insane. Whenever I drive, I just assume that all of you other drivers are out of your minds, impatient, will cut in front of me when there's no room, swerve in and out of traffic to save 5 seconds of time, run red lights, drive dangerously close behind me, or break suddenly without any reason or warning.

There are too many people out there who don't respect that fact that they're operating a huge hunk of metal that weighs over a ton. Driving has become so routine, ordinary, and mundane to us that we sometimes forget about how much of a gigantic responsibility it is to get behind the wheel. People daydream, play on their phones while swerving through traffic, generally don't pay attention to their surroundings, and they try to drive home even if they're too drunk or too sleepy to stay awake.

I've lived in Singapore for 8 years, where most drivers are notoriously bad and have no regard for human life, but I've seen my share of bad driving all over the world, including taxi drivers, bus drivers, motorcyclists, tuktuk drivers, and people riding in rickshaws. Don't wait until after you've already run someone over to start thinking about automobile safety and taking responsibility for the way you drive your huge hunk of twisted metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment